Bachelor in Library and Information Science (B.Lib. & I.Sc. / BLIS)
We are in the age of ‘Information Society’ which accommodates Information, People, Society and Technology. In today’s Information Society, people have easy access to technology and therefore, also wants easy and handy access to reliable Information whenever and wherever required. This is where the role of a Library and Information Science Professionals starts; i.e. providing the most reliable and authentic information to its users through variety of services.
A Library and Information Science Professional is person working in a Library and Information Centers with a degree in Library and Information Science subject field. He/ She has to deal with the library’s collection which can include sources of information such as – books, newspapers, maps, magazines, CDs, DVDs, E Books, Audio books, documents and databases. In this way, the fundamental work of a Library and Information Science Professional is to deal with different types of Information Resources available in printed, non-printed or electronic forms.
If you are somebody who is organized and like working with people and passionate about the value of knowledge and Information. Then the job of Library and Information Science Professional might be best for you. For becoming a Library and Information Science Professional, a person should have at least a graduation degree in Library and Information Science Subject (BLIS / B. Lib. & I. Sc.) although there are lower to higher level of degrees / programs available in Library and Information Science subject.
Bachelor of Library and Information Science program is designed to give students an understanding about philosophy of library science, its basic principles, fundamental laws and social impact.
This one year job oriented professional degree program, provides an insight into various aspects of library science and information systems to make students competent with basic information skills necessary for maintaining and developing both traditional and modern library and information centers according to the changing information needs of the society.
At CSAIST, learning activities are characterized by active engagement, inquiry, problem solving and collaboration with others. The teacher acts as a guide, a facilitator and also co-explorer. They encourage learners to question, challenge and formulate their ideas, opinions and conclusions. The pedagogy used is Classroom Lectures, Problem Based Learning, Case Studies, Peer Tutorials, E-Learning, Flipped Classrooms, Experiential Learning, Video Presentation, Special Lecture / Guest Speak, Study tour, Project work, etc.
We use technology based learning platforms, social media, internet and interactive Learning Management Systems to deliver our programs.
The intake in B.Lib. & I.Sc. / BLIS program is 60 seats.
The course duration of B.Lib. & I.Sc. / BLIS program is 1 year.
Candidates seeking admission in B. Lib. & I. Sc. / BLIS program must have done Graduation in any discipline with II division from any recognized University / Institution.
At present, Library and Information Science Professionals are highly demanded in both government and private sectors. “Library Act” has been also passed in many states in India including Uttar Pradesh making the library an important part of Society for providing reliable information. Most of people know only about the post of “LIBRARIAN” available in a Library. But the fact is that, a Library and Information Science Professional can apply for posts with different Job Titles / Posts’ name for doing variety of job in a Library and Information Science Center of different types of Institutions.
A Library and Information Science Professional are required in all sorts of Libraries and Information Centers with large Information Handling Requirements of both Government and Private Sectors. Some of the Top Working Areas for the Library and Information Science Professionals are:
- Libraries (Government, private as well as community managed).
- Higher Academic institutions’ Libraries (Colleges and Universities).
- School Libraries of Kendriya Vidyalaya / Navodaya Vidyalaya and all other CBSE, ISC and ICSE Board Public High Schools and Inter Colleges.
- Other Higher Academic institutions’ Libraries (Like, IITs, IIMs. NITs, etc.)
- Public Libraries (in each District).
- Corporate Training Centers.
- Research and Development (R&D) Councils, Centers and Institutions (Like, CSIR, ICAR, DRDO, ICSSR, ICHR, ICMR, ISRO, etc.)
- Libraries of Ministries and other Government Departments, Directorates, State Councils and autonomous Bodies (Parliament Library, PM Office Library, etc.)
- Information Centers and Data Centers.
- International Centers like WHO, UNESCO, UNO, World Bank.
- Law Library (Like Supreme Court Library, High Court Library, etc.)
- Foreign Embassies.
- News and Media agencies (National Newspaper’s Library, Doordarshan, etc)
- Museums and Art Galleries.
- Library Networks.
- Private organizations and Multinational companies (Like TCS-Tata Consultancy Services, Reliance, etc.)
- National Library.
- Other Special Libraries (Medical Library, Railways’ Library, Banking Library, etc.)
Highlights of Program
- The main highlight of the program is that we train and make students familiar with professional ethics and skills required in librarianship.
- Students get acquainted with various standards and tools being used in processing, managing and retrieving information resources.
- Medium of teaching not a barrier for vernacular students, as lectures and notes are provided in both English & Hindi.
- Faculties mentoring to weaker students through special remedial lectures/tutorials.
- To give adequate practical knowledge of different techniques adopted by different types of libraries, an educational tour for visiting important libraries of India is arranged.
The course fee of in B. Lib. & I. Sc. / BLIS program is ₹ 16050/- annually.
Admissions to all seats are made directly by the college on the basis of merit of graduation. Registration can be done on our website or by a visit in our campus after graduation. For any information please feel free to contact the below mentioned help line numbers :
|Landline Numbers||Mobile Numbers||Toll Free Number|