Department of Library and Information Science
The Department of Library and Information Science was incepted in the year 2000 with an aim to integrate technology with the curriculum in order to confer knowledge and skills within Library and Information Science students related to Information handling in a highly productive manner.
The Department with the help of its highly progressive, dedicated, innovative faculty imparts the high level of teaching from basic to advanced level in Library and Information Science education in lining with the mission of the Institute. The innovative teaching and learning methods and the hands-on experience of Information Communication Technologies given to the students contribute tangibly to the development of their knowledge base, skills and leadership quality related to the discipline as well as a profession.
The department produces manpower capable of effectively and efficiently working as information professionals at leadership position in both traditional and advance high tech library and information resource centers. The department not only provides professional studies but also in-depth knowledge of developments in library science and information management.
The main objective of the department is to ensure that each student can find themselves competitive for different competition examinations and gains adequate employment and responsible high positions in libraries and information centers.
The department prepares its students in such a manner that they can become fit to face the challenges and cope with the needs of fast changing society.
- To give students an understanding about philosophy of library science, its basic principles, fundamental laws and social impact.
- To educate students about growth, development and professional ethics of librarianship.
- To develop the students in skill of information processing, organization and retrieval.
- To educate the students with various standardized tools of library classification and cataloguing.
- To make students familiar in managing different sections of a library.
- To give knowledge of computer and its application in managing various activities of a library system.
- To make students ready to take up existing as well as upcoming information challenges.
- To train the students in information analysis, repacking and marketing of information products.
- To train the students with skills such as database management, e-resource management and to take up leadership positions in serving the library users.